I-75 Exit One Interchange Modifications
at Ringgold Road (SR-8)
In June of 2016 the City of East Ridge selected the Vaughn & Melton / Asa Engineering & Consulting Team to provide TDOT Local Programs PE-NEPA and Design services on the proposed improvements to I-75 Exit One in East Ridge, Tennessee. Then, in the Spring of 2017, The City selected the AMEC Foster-Wheeler / Asa team to provide CEI services during the construction phase of the project. Spurred by the recent development on Camp Jordan Parkway, and the construction of the new Bass Pro retailer adjacent to the northeast quadrant of the interchange, the functionally deficient interchange requires direct accessibility between I-75 and Camp Jordan Parkway, better on-ramp and off-ramp capacity and alignment, the elimination of cloverleaf ramp conflicts, and the addition of signalization at the new Camp Jordan Road and I-75 N.B. off-ramp intersection.
Design objectives included:
• The realignment and widening of the northbound I-75 off-ramp to accommodate direct access to Camp Jordan Parkway, as well as right and left turn movements onto SR8 (Ringgold Road).
• The realignment of Camp Jordan Parkway to intersect SR8 (Ringgold Road) directly opposite the northbound I-75 off-ramp realigned roadway.
• The signalization at the new intersection of the realigned Camp Jordan Parkway and the realigned northbound I-75 off-ramp.
• The demolition and removal of the existing northbound I-75 off-ramp (cloverleaf) located in the northeast quadrant of the Exit No. 1 Interchange.
• The construction of a new westbound SR8 (Ringgold Road) on-ramp to I-75 north.
• The restriping and pavement marking of the existing SR8 (Ringgold Road) bridges and approaches to accommodate the reconfigured interchange.
• Spot widening and improvements to the southbound I-75 off-ramp at the SR8 (Ringgold Road) intersection.
Asa staff involved in the design and construction of the project include Jeff Sikes (Sr. Projects Manager); Chris Davis, PE (Transportation Design Support); Allen Jones, RLA (Landscape Architect); Roger Riemer, PLS (Surveyor); Cory Hollinghead (CEI Construction Manager); Ryan Schroering (EPSC Inspector).